Cape families lose Tafelsig shacks
30 August 2011 Leave a comment
Cape Town wins battle against 16-family land invaders at Tafelsig
Journalist Catherine Rice writes that 17 families who took over two council-owned fields in Cape Town earlier this year have been ordered to leave by 26 September. Final arguments were heard in the Western Cape High Court on Tuesday in the City of Cape Town’s case against the 16 families who moved onto land in Tafelsig.
Judge Nathan Erasmus granted the city a final eviction order. The families have refused to budge despite their structures constantly being taken down by the city’s land invasion unit. Acting for the city, Advocate Anton Katz said the land simply is not fit for human habitation. He said the conditions are inhumane with some families living in holes in the ground and that the city could relocate them to Blikkiesdorp. However, resident Faeza Meyer said she would never accept that offer. “For me, I might be fighting a losing battle for myself, but I will fight until the end for my children so they don’t have to go through what we have to go through,” she said. The respondents’ lawyer argued that a move to Blikkiesdorp would prejudice the children, who have already been traumatised. Judge Erasmus said this was a case of poor and vulnerable people being abused by third parties. He called for the police to investigate. There were murmurs of agreement from the packed public gallery. He said the land invaders were misled by the Backyarders Association into believing they were legally occupying the two fields. (Edited by Lindiwe Mlandu) http://www.ewn.co.za/Story.aspx?Id=73070