Insane News March 30 2011

Floyd Shivambo, ANC youth league mouthpiece, allegedly called journo Carien du Plessis a ‘white bitch’: gets sued for R200,000 damages, is denied a secret trial… https://nolstuijt.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/insane-news-march-30-2011/

ANTIWHITE HATESPEECH Shivambu Floyd  ANCYL called journo CarienduPlessis WHITE BITCH  Equality court case postponed to April 13 2011 for response deadline:

2011-03-29 Johannesburg – A hate speech case against the ANCYL mouthpiece was postponed to April 13 2011  by the Equality Court in Johannesburg. The judge also refused a request by the defendant to have the case heard behind closed doors –  without journalists present.

Journalist Carien du Plessis, of Independent Newspapers, is suing Shivambo for R100,000 after he allegedly calling her “stupid” and a “white bitch”, according to court papers. The matter was postponed at the request of Shivambo’s legal team. Du Plessis’ legal team opposed the application for a postponement. Shivambo’s attorney Andries Nkome claimed he “had not received all the pages of the documents”– although he was served with all the papers on February 8. His legal team has not replied to the allegations. Granting the postponement, magistrate Oriel Vele said “it was not clear what steps had been taken to obtain the missing pages”. He said Shivambu’s attorneys had not been “prudent” in dealing with the matter, but that their “sins” should not be visited on their client. “It will be in the interests of justice to allow him [Shivambu] a voice on the matter,” Vele said. The court expressed “utter disappointment” in the conduct of “the respondent and, or his attorney”. “People should learn to treat court proceedings with the respect they deserve,” Vele said.

No secret trial behind closed doors:

He meanwhile awarded punitive costs to Du Plessis for Tuesday’s court appearance. Shivambo, who was present in court, was ordered to file a response to the allegations by April 13. Nkome earlier was refused the request that  Vele hold the court hearings in camera. He told the court “parties” had “called” journalists “sympathetic to their cause” and submitted that reporting of the matter would be “sympathetic” to those parties. The magistrate replied: “I don’t see how one can bar journalists from these proceedings.” The reasons put forward were not good enough to bar anyone from the court proceedings, Vele said.He said there was a code of conduct journalists were held to, which compelled them to report objectively. “I would not be happy to see things in the paper which did not transpire in these proceedings,” he said.

The complaint dates back to May 18 2010. Du Plessis alleged that in an SMS exchange between herself and Shivambu, he wrote: “You must learn to respect people. I don’t comment on YCL [Young Communist League] issues and please stop being stupid.” He also wrote: “I wouldn’t want to earn respect from white bitches… so dream on.”

According to the court papers, his reference to Du Plessis as “stupid” and as a “white bitch” constituted “prohibited hate speech within the meaning of section 10 of the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act 4 of 2000″. The words were “construed to demonstrate clear intent” to be “hurtful”, “harmful” or “incite harm” and to “promote or propagate hatred”. “The plaintiff was humiliated and degraded by the aforesaid words and suffered damages as a result thereof in the sum of R100 000 in respect of impairment of her personality and right to human dignity”. Du Plessis wants an order declaring that the labels allegedly applied to her by Shivambu constituted hate speech, an order requiring him to issue an unconditional written apology, payment of R100 000 damages and the costs of the suit. http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Politics/Equality-case-Shivambu-gets-more-time-20110329

Police Minister Mthethwa contradicts himself about Farm Attack statistics:  does the SAPS maintain farm-murder statistics – or not?

On March 29, 2011 in parliament, in replies to written questions in SA parliament from DA-parliamentarian M M Swathe, police minister Nati Mthethwa said that ‘the statistics on farm murders are not avalaible on the case administration system of the SAPS. Cases of murder are not listed seperately based on where they occur…’murder is considered murder whether in rural areas or urban areas…’  http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicsweb/view/politicsweb/en/page72308?oid=228504&sn=Marketingweb+detail&pid=90389

However this statement in parliament on March 29 2011 directly contradicts his previous statement on March 13 2011, also in Parliament –  when he said that “from December 2010 to date (March 13 2011) there had been twelve murders on farms and smallholding recorded by the SAPS” – and also adding considerable detail showing that they took their ‘crime intelligence on  rural crime’ very seriously. http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicsweb/view/politicsweb/en/page71656?oid=226064&sn=Detail&pid=71656

ANC POLICE MINISTER; NO RECORDS KEPT ON FARM MURDERS PROGRESS RATES BY SAPS MARCH292011

 ————————————-

Megan Calenborne (71): 2 armed black males forced their way into her ‘secure’ Fourways Gardens Estate home –  robbed her at gunpoint.

CALENBORNE MEGAN 71 attacked hisecurity Alberton home Why are the victims of violent crimes always blamed  for being attacked?  Mrs Megan Calenborne —  who lives alone and pays a fortune for the high-security \in her Fourways Gardens Estate flat – , said a day before she was attacked and robbed by two armed black males, they had spotted by her house, ‘asking for a dog’.  (source: Natashia Bearam). On the day of the attack the two black males were dressed in yellow reflective jackets, like those worn by security guards’. They let the old lady’s guard down with their disguise. “Against my better judgement I slightly opened the door. They immediately forced their way into my house,” she said. They forced the terrified old lady  upstairs, tied her up, locked her in the bathroom and ransacked her safe of jewellery valued at R100,000+.Warrant officer Balan Muthan, spokesman for Douglasdale police station, said however  they “had not had an increase in robberies in the area’ and so he blamed it all on the elderly white victim by saying: “It is important that residents are wary when entering or leaving their complexes. They must make sure that no one enters the gate behind them..”  Why do South Africans still even pay their taxes for this kind of sloppy ‘blame-the-victim’ policing – where the taxpayers have to shell out thousands of Rands in extra security costs because the State is too fraudulent to provide an efficient police-force.. http://www.looklocal.co.za/looklocal/content/en/fourways/fourways-news-crime?oid=4292227&sn=Detail&pid=217610&Keep-your-guard-up-in-estates

 Andrew de Klerk, brutally murdered Feb 8 2010, Riemvasmaak, Eden Mews Flats, Alberton: two males twice confessed in court to the murder – but they are still walking around free in the  same neighbourhood…

De Klerk Andrew murdered Feb82010 Two confessed murderers released by court Andrew de Klerk was brutally murdered on February 8 2010 in Riemvasmaak near the Eden Mews flats. The two suspects, purportedly his “best friends”, were arrested and confessed to the murder in the Alberton Magistrate court on several occasions since last year  —  but are walking around the neighbourhood like free men.
“My brother’s two killers are boastfully roaming the streets since their court appearance last Monday February 28 2011. The court let them free “while waiting for DNA test results”. This move really upset the family,” said Andrew’s brother Theo de Klerk.”In most cases, especially murder cases, the suspects are kept in jail. Why are these two set free and not kept waiting in jail for the DNA results like all other murder suspects? We feel betrayed by the justice system,” said Theo. The RECORD spoke to the investigating officer, Inspector Seroko, about the family’s concern. “I understand the sadness within the family. They should understand that the suspects have not been acquitted. They will appear in court once the DNA results are available. Their freedom is only temporary,” said Inspector Seroko
. http://www.looklocal.co.za/looklocal/content/en/alberton/alberton-news-general?oid=3808597&sn=Detail&pid=1171119&Family-feel-betrayed-by-justice-system

—————————–

Granny Debbie Hodges: chased home by mad man for smoking…

hodges Debbie gran chased home by madman for smoking Alberton Debbie Hodges did not expect to be chased home and have it spraypainted by a madman on Friday March 11 after she’d thrown a cigarette butt from her car window. This was when an man, apparently besides himself, appeared beside her and repeatedly tried to run her off the road. And 12 days later, her home was spraypainted with the slogan ‘smoker’…  (Source: Alberton news, 23 March 2011, Simóne Erasmus).

Debbie was driving home on Kliprivier Road, in Brackendowns, between 13:30 and 14:30, when she finished her cigarette and threw the butt the window. Suddenly a man driving a white bakkie, with a business logo on the side, appeared beside her and was ‘hitting’ his head with his cellphone, looking angry as he was trying to say something to her. “I just ignored him and looked straight ahead, because I could see that he was angry about something,” says Debbie, “but I was in the left hand lane. He then sped up and tried to drive me off the road more than once. I was so scared that I turned into Vaal Road and didn’t even think of going to the police station. I drove straight home.” The man then turned into Vaal too and followed her all the way home to De Waal Street. She quickly pulled into her driveway and the man pulled into her driveway too, blocking her car so she wouldn’t be able to reverse. He jumped out of his car and started yelling at her, asking her why she threw her cigarette butt out of her window. “He swore at me hysterically and then started taking photos of my house, telling me that he was going to put them on the internet and anywhere else that he can, so that people will know what I did,” she explains. She was home alone at the time and was in such shock that she just pulled her car into the garage and closed the door.

The morning of Wednesday, March 23, Debbie was leaving for work when she saw that her wall had been spray painted with the word “smoker”. “I cannot believe that he acted the way he did and actually chased me home like that. I was so scared! I have informed Fox Security, who have upped my security, especially at night. I don’t know what this man was thinking? People need to be careful and aware of things like this taking place,” she says. http://www.looklocal.co.za/looklocal/content/en/alberton/alberton-news-general?oid=4306791&sn=Detail&pid=1171113&Mad-man-chases-granny-home

About Adriana Stuijt
Retired South African-Dutch journalist formerly Sunday Times Johannesburg

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: